- Grease a 30 x 20 cm pie dish with butter.
- Mix the biscuit crumbs with the butter or margarine and press into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pie dish and chill until needed.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and add the castor sugar a spoonful at a time, beating well after each addition until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is thick and shiny.
- Beat the egg yolks well and fold into the egg white mixture.
- Beat the cream until stiff and fold in together with the lemon rind and juice.
- Pour over the crumb crust, cover with cling film or foil and freeze.
Sunday, March 9, 2014
Lemon Fridge Tart
200 g (1 packet) Tennis biscuits, crushed
100 ml melted butter or margarine
3 extra large eggs, separated
125 ml castor sugar
250 ml cream, chilled
1 lemon, grated rind
80 ml fresh lemon juice
Puerto Rican Tostones (Fried Plantains)
5 tablespoonsoil for frying
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Place the plantains in the oil and fry on both sides; approximately 3 1/2 minutes per side.
- Remove the plantains from the pan and flatten the plantains by placing a plate over the fried plantains and pressing down.
- Dip the plantains in water, then return them to the hot oil and fry 1 minute on each side. Salt to taste and serve immediately.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican Spice Blend
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 5 canned whole green chiles, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 4 canned chipotle chiles, seeded and minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 16 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce, canned
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar and Jack cheeses
DirectionsCoat large saute pan with oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown chicken over medium heat, allow 7 minutes each side or until no longer pink. Sprinkle chicken with cumin, garlic powder and Mexican spices before turning. Remove chicken to a platter, allow to cool.
Saute onion and garlic in chicken drippings until tender. Add corn and chiles. Stir well to combine. Add canned tomatoes, saute 1 minute.
Pull chicken breasts apart by hand into shredded strips. Add shredded chicken to saute pan, combine with vegetables. Dust the mixture with flour to help set.
Microwave tortillas on high for 30 seconds. This softens them and makes them more pliable. Coat the bottom of 2 (13 by 9-inch) pans with a ladle of enchilada sauce. Using a large shallow bowl, dip each tortilla in enchilada sauce to lightly coat. Spoon 1/4 cup chicken mixture in each tortilla. Fold over filling, place 8 enchiladas in each pan with seam side down. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F oven until cheese melts. Garnish with cilantro, scallion, sour cream and chopped tomatoes before serving. Serve with Spanish rice and beans.
Pour cognac into a highball glass over ice cubes. Fill with carbonated water. Add the twist of lemon peel, stir, and serve. (Ginger ale may be substituted for carbonated water, if preferred
Saturday, March 8, 2014
Slow Roasted Rabbit
1 (3 pound)rabbit, cleaned and cut into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Season the rabbit with salt and pepper. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the rabbit pieces and brown on all sides. Place in a 9x13 inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, onion, ketchup, garlic, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and water; pour over the rabbit.
- Bake uncovered for 90 minutes in the preheated oven, basting frequently. Meat should be very tender when done
1 pound dry ziti pasta
1 onion, chopped
1 pound lean ground beef
2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
1 1/2 cups sour cream
6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound dry ziti pasta
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain.
In a large skillet, brown onion and ground beef over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer as follows: 1/2 of the ziti, Provolone cheese, sour cream, 1/2 sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted